Sunday 26 March 2017

Second 40k Starter Event Report

I'm typing this up during the event, so it's probably going to be a little disjointed.

We had 10 players again, so maximum turn out. Some different players and some players playing different armies. Only one repetition, and both of those are different styles.
  • Khorne Daemonkin, mono-daemons with Flesh Hounds, Bloodletters and a Skullcannon
  • Blood Angels infantry, with Terminator support
  • Blood Angels, 4 Dreadnoughts with some infantry support
  • Sisters of Battle, with Saint Celestine and 2 Exorcists
  • Tzeentch Daemons, Flamers galore
  • Skitarii, Rangers and a Dunecrawler
  • World Eaters, Berzerkers and Raptors
  • Raven Guard, Shrike leading Assault Marines, Scouts and Sternguard
  • Crimson Slaughter with a Vindicator
  • Saim-Hann Elder, with Wraithguard in a Wave Serpent.
As I type this, round one is coming near to an end. Everyone is playing the mission, no-one has come here just to try and table people. It's part of the intent of the event. I've limited the guest list to ensure a good atmosphere. Some players aren't great at facing newer players and that rapidly turns things toxic. That then leads to players not wanting to return to future events or even losing interest in the game. Definitely something I want to avoid.

Second round has led to an interesting match up. The Blood Angels players are facing off, with the more experienced one giving advice to the newer player. The latter played Harlequins last time and recently obtained the Blood Angels army. I'm hoping that he gets some good advice.

I'm considering asking at the end if any of the players want me to feature their army on the blog. It'll be interesting to hear the whys behind some of the builds and their intended tactics, alongside how they felt the games went.

Via summoning, the Tzeentch army managed to practically table the World Eaters. Far too many Flamer templates and not enough successful saves.

Final round I was unable to get pictures because a player dropped. This meant I got to play a match! I'll talk about the list I'm trialling in a future post. I won on behalf of the player that went, but as is my custom the player I beat got the win as if he faced the bye.

Everyone seemed happy with the event, the winner played the Tzeentch Daemon list, facing off against the Sisters of Battle in the final round. I've sent out the same questionnaire as last time, and nearly had a full set of responses already. I'm really enjoying running these, and I'm looking forward to the next one where we pump up the points, lift some restrictions and move onto Maelstrom missions,

No comments:

Post a Comment