Tuesday 23 January 2018

My Current Asuryani Force






I've had the opportunity to play a few games with my current 2000 points Iyanden force. Here are my thoughts on how I've put it together, and how it's been doing so far.

Iyanden Brigade Detachment 1993 points, 110 power level, 12 command points


  • Autarch, Warlord - Enduring Resolve
  • Farseer, Guide, Doom, Faolchu's Wing
  • Spiritseer, Enhance/Drain
  • 4 Dire Avengers, Exarch, 2 Shuriken Catapults
  • 4 Dire Avengers, Exarch, Diresword
  • 10 Guardian Defenders, Aeldari Missile Launcher platform
  • 10 Guardian Defenders, Aeldari Missile Launcher platform
  • 10 Guardian Defenders, Shuriken Cannon platform
  • 10 Guardian Defenders, Shurkien Cannon platform
  • 5 Fire Dragons, Exarch, Firepike
  • 4 Howling Banshees, Exarch, Mirrorswords
  • 5 Striking Scorpions, Exarch, Scorpion's Claw
  • 5 Swooping Hawks, Exarch, Hawk's Talon
  • 4 Warp Spiders, Exarch, 2 Death Spinners
  • 3 Windriders, 3 Scatter Lasers
  • 4 Dark Reapers, Exarch
  • Fire Prism, Crystal Targeting Matrix, Shuriken Cannon, Spirit Stones
  • Wraithlord, 2 Flamers, 2 Shuriken Cannons
  • Hemlock Wraithfighter, Protect/Jinx, Spirit Stones
I've listed the Warlord traits, Relics and Psychic Powers I've been using. The army was built to maximise Command Points and get decent use of Stratagems while testing a variety of missions. That's how I ended up making a Brigade. Unfortunately, I was unable to fit any Wraithguard/Wraithblades into the Elites slots. They are very expensive, and points ran out fast when filling the mandatory slots.

Unit Review



The Autarch, J'me Iyandar

Expectation - Traditionally, I would have a Farseer as the Warlord, but Path of Command is too tempting. If it gets back even one command point in a game, it's worth it.
Obviously, the re-roll 1s aura is good, making him the keystone of my firebase.
The Warlord trait; Enduring Resolve, was chosen because it's the Iyanden one. None of the choices seems to give a better tactical option to the Autarch.

Reality - Wow, he's been amazing. While some games he's only gotten me one Command Point back, I have had a couple of games where I have effectively had 18 Command Points. Given how good some of the Strategems are, that's been exactly what I've needed.
The Warlord Trait has done nothing, however, I am running multiple Psykers in the list, so I'm not usually short of opportunities to deny Psychic powers. I'll have to look into a better choice, although it will probably end up being the Feel No Pain option.
He is the lynchpin of the firebase, kept near the Reapers, Prism and 1-2 units of Guardians with Missile Launchers to screen them. This is the long-range fire contingent, and the best units to benefit from his re-rolls.

Conclusion - The best choice for Warlord, and an amazing model, even though I have yet to roll any dice for him. His effect on the other units and my Stratagems is all I need.

The Farseer, Se'an Iyandar

Expectation  - My personal favourite, the Farseer. The key psychic support, with Doom and Guide being my two favourite powers. I'm trying out the Faolchu's Wing Relic to allow him the ability to be where he needs to be. I intend for him to often be with the Jetbikes, to use Guide to help with the penalty they get to their shooting when they move.

Reality - Doom! Doom is still my favourite Psychic Power. Cast it on something and even the lowliest of weapons can make it dead.
Guide is great too and has helped with either the Jetbikes or more often the Dragons.
The Relic has helped keep him mobile, without paying the price to put him on a Jetbike himself.
Runes of the Farseer keeps the powers flowing while helping stymie the Psykers I've faced.
I've also had great use from the Runes of Witnessing. Head him over to the firebase, pop that stratagem of and watch things die.

Conclusion - The other model that I wouldn't build a list without. I'm never unhappy with the Farseer.

The Spiritseer

Expectation - I needed a third HQ and wasn't happy with the survivability of a lone Warlock. I also wanted access to the Runes of Battle. Giving Spirit Mark support to the Wraithlord doesn't hurt either. I chose Enhance/Drain to give my force some close assault defence, as I don't have a lot of close assault offence.

Reality - Sometimes I cast Drain, but mostly she kicks out Smite. She run's around hoping to never be a priority target, Smiting things and supporting the Wraithlord. It probably doesn't help that Drain feels too situational. I may look at a different power to replace it.

Conclusion - I'm not unhappy with this unit, given the points I had available. I think she would perform a lot better if I had some Wraithguard or Wraithblades in the army, but you can't have everything.






The Dire Avengers

Expectation - Small, so easy to ignore for the opponent, but mobile anti-infantry firepower. The differences in Exarch equipment are due to the models available. One unit one each flank, advancing and supporting whatever is nearby.

Reality - Often killed due to proximity and low squad size. However, it usually takes firepower away from things that are more important. Their price point makes this acceptable, although any Aeldari loss is a tragedy.

Conclusion - They do the job at the right price.

The Guardian Defenders with Shuriken Cannons

Expectation - Mobile, massed anti-infantry firepower. They can advance and still shoot at full effectiveness due to Battle Focus. A decent size for holding Objectives in the midfield too.

Reality - Like the Troops in many armies, they do the job. Their size attracts attention, and their numbers soak up a fair amount of firepower.

Conclusion - A solid choice, as I needed 6 troops choices in the Brigade.

The Guardian Defenders with Aeldari Missile Launchers

Expectation - Static because of the heavy weapons, they are intended to be a screen for the firebase. Keeps it safer from opposing Reserves or assault units. The Missile Launcher lets them help deal with either Infantry or harder targets.

Reality - Not much to say here. The reality is they meet their expectations and do the job as intended. They also allow me to use the Starhawk Missile Stratagem, which helps finish off all sort of models with the Fly keyword, such as Bloat Drones and Winged Hive Tyrants.

Conclusion - The final of my troops, they have proven good at their job.


The Fire Dragons

Expectation - Put them in the Webway, deploy them next to something that needs to die and then watch it die. Simple.

Reality - It has proven to be as simple as that. I use the Webway Strike Stratagem to bring them on with a clear shot at whichever Vehicle or Monster in the opposing army needs to die. Sometimes this is done turn 1, other times I wait for the perfect shot.

Conclusion - They have yet to disappoint. Some games they have even managed to survive the subsequent turn and go on to kill other things.

The Howling Banshees

Expectation - They join the Fire Dragons in the Webway, and attempt to do the same job via assault.

Reality - They are not great at the job. While the -3 save modifier does a great job of denying saves, their strength of 3 really limits what they can kill. I'm starting to think they would be better off starting on the table, where their speed can be used.
I suspect that the threat of his unit reaching combat will be more important than it actually reaching combat.

Conclusion - If they don't go into reserve, I can either put one of the Guardian Defender units with Shuriken Cannon in to deal with screening units, or I save 2 Command Points. I may also look at a different unit to fill this slot.

The Striking Scorpions

Expectation - Setting up in Ambush, they appear and take out a small unit of troops or artillery. Mandiblasters and the Scorpion's Claw putting in the work against tougher targets.

Reality - I think I've had better luck choosing the correct target with these guys over the Banshees. The mortal wounds from the Mandiblasters and Scorpion's  Claw help a lot with this, while the regular attacks can finish things off.

Conclusion - I've been happy with this unit. It also contributes to having enough units in Reserve to keep my opponent guessing.


The Swooping Hawks

Expectation - Coming down from the skies to deal with chaff units. Between their Grenades and their Lasblasters, no chaff unit is safe.

Reality - This unit is amazing. Assault 4 means that even this small unit kicks out a lot of shots. They put in work. The Grenades are hit or miss, but again help clear out screening units.

Conclusion - I am tempted by a second unit of these. Even at strength 3, they have been great. |While that sounds at odds with the Banshees, the Hawks have a much greater weight of dice advantage.

The Warp Spiders

Expectation - On paper, I'm not sure what this unit is for. I intend to use it as a harasser unit. Strength 6, assault 2 guns are ok, though short ranged. They are highly mobile, and again I set them up in reserve.

Reality - They have been good at both harassing and leaping onto unclaimed Objectives. The extra move from their Jump Generators is huge. And they are rarely a priority for the opponent to tackle.

Conclusion - I've been pleasantly surprised by this unit. They get ignored so often, I rarely need to Flickerjump too.

The Windriders with Scatter Lasers

Expectation - Some long range, but more mobile firepower. In the turns they need to move, the Farseer can provide Guide to help out.

Reality - They feel like they are suffering from their 7th edition reputation. They get targeted by possibly more than their fair share of opposing shots. Still, they bring a lot of high strength firepower to the army.

Conclusion - I feel like I haven't gotten much use out of these guys, but that's mostly been due to opponents firing priority.



The Dark Reapers

Expectation - Death at long range. With 2 choices of firing mode, they are good no matter the target.

Reality - Okay, so they aren't good against mass infantry. That's what the rest of the army is for. They are normally good at deleting whatever I point them at. There isn't much more to say.

Conclusion - I can see why people are taking multiple large units of Reapers. That gets very expensive, very fast though.

The Fire Prism

Expectation - The premier anti-everything weapon in the game. Firing modes for infantry, vehicles and titans, mobility and the Fly keyword to stop it being locked in combat.

Reality - It's been great. The flexibility of it's firing modes combined with the ability to fire twice is really strong. Spirit Stones have surprisingly helped keep it alive, and the Iyanden Craftworld trait means it ignores the effects of damage.

Conclusion - The Linked Fire Stratagem tempts me to get 2 more Fire Prisms, but there wouldn't be room for that in this force as points are tight enough. A solid choice for one of the few Vehicle units I field.

The Wraithlord

Expectation - Taken with a selection of weapons that not only keep the points down but allow it to advance and still shoot. Flamers should help keep hordes from tying him up.

Reality - He's been ok. He is a little weak in combat against vehicles but otherwise has been solid. Shuriken Cannons have been hit and miss, but the ability to advance and fire them has been key a few times.

Conclusion - Can't complain really, it's an ok unit and an Iyanden army with no Wraith would be stupid.


The Hemlock Wraithfighter

Expectation - Heavy D-Scythes to put a whole in vehicles, flying speed and psychic power. It's been really good in other lists.

Reality - Where to start? Its speed means I can usually put it exactly where I want it, even if it can't stay there the next turn. Mindshock pods have proven to have a brutal effect on Morale, finishing of stragglers in units.
I use it for two things. The first is casting Jinx on a key target that the rest of the army is going to shoot, then using the D-Scythes on whatever target seems best.
The other is when an opponent makes a mistake. They leave enough room next to a character, I fly the Hemlock over, stopping over an inch away. As the character should now be the closest enemy unit, I cast Smite and follow up with the D-Scythes. Only a decent Invulnerable Save helps stop this assassination attempt.
Most opponents also ignore it, as they find the Hard to Hit rule off-putting, when there are other things to kill.

Conclusion - It's really good at the jobs I use it for. At 210 points it needs to do a lot to earn its points, but some of its effects, like the Morale and extra Deny the Witch, are quite subtle. It's actually a key unit, that opponents need to respect more.







I've been happy with the list so far. I've gone 3-1 with it, and though I am tempted to make slight adjustments the points are very tight. I'll be playing this for several more games at least.

One last thing, if you want to see this army in action, or see what tournaments I'm running, could you give my Facebook Page a like;

https://www.facebook.com/baronadjutanttournaments/

No comments:

Post a Comment