Sunday 27 May 2018

Final Fantasy Regionals

This weekend saw the Final Fantasy TCG Regionals at Antics. I don't often get a chance to play the game, so I built a deck and had some quick refresher games in the week.


FFVII.Dec

Summons
3 x Bahamut Fury (1-190S)
1 x Phoenix (3-020H)
Backups
3 x Wedge (4-076R)
3 x Biggs (4-090R)
3 x Jessie (1-204S)
3 x Zack (4-031C)
3 x Zangan (1-188S)
Forwards
1 x Barret (1-205S)
3 x Barret (1-114R)
3 x Barret (4-089R)
3 x Vincent (PR-002)
1 x Vincent (2-077L)
3 x Vincent (4-075H)
1 x Tifa (1-016C)
3 x Tifa (1-189S)
3 x Tifa (2-011L)
2 x Cloud (1-009C)
1 x Cloud (1-187S)
3 x Cloud (4-145H)
2 x Cloud (1-182L)
1 x Cloud (PR-021/1-182L)
1 x Sephiroth (1-186L)

FF7 was the first Final Fantasy game I played, it introduced me to the series. It was also the first digital RPG I played. It helps that I love the story and the characters. With the FF TCG I only collect the cards from FF7, which limits my card pool. However, it lets me play the characters I like.

I built around the core of the Starter Deck. I removed the non-7 cards long ago. When building for this event, I decided to stick to the Fire/Earth archetype, splashing for Light Cloud. I finally put in a single Dark Sephiroth in case of a dangerous Backup. I don't really follow the meta, so I wasn't sure what I should be looking out for.



The event had 12 players, which meant 4 rounds and a top 4 cut. I'm terrible with names, so I don't remember the people I faced that I didn't know before the day. I will protect everyone's ID by not using any names.

Round 1
I faced a deck that wanted to fill the field with Monsters and attack in one turn. My deck came out quite aggressive and put my opponent on the back foot. He didn't really recover.
1-0

Round 2
I faced a control deck built around Porom and Palom, one that was used to re-teach me in the week. It was a close game, though I misplayed and forgot to use Biggs to increase Barret's power. This may or may not have changed the game. My opponent was on 6 damage at end of the game.
1-1

Round 3
I'm not sure how to describe what my opponent's deck was doing, due to my lack of experience with the game. There was a lot of back and forth with the game. The Legend Tifa was key in helping me get enough attacks through to win.
2-1

Round 4
Again, not sure about this deck but I believe it was built around Knights. My opponent was much better at the game than I was, but I made a fight of it. Got him to 6 damage by the end.
2-2

For my first ever constructed event, especially a Regional, 2-2 isn't bad. I came 8th and got some promos and boosters as prizes. It was a well-run event, as all of Lee Tucker's events are. I had a good day and it left me encouraged to try and get more games in. It's a shame my scheduling rarely allows me to.

I'm probably going to take the Sephiroth out of the deck, as I didn't see any worthwhile targets for his ability. Not sure what I'll replace him with. Maybe an extra Vincent or another Tifa. Or I'll forget by the time I next play. Plus another set comes out soon so we shall see what that brings.


Thanks to Lee Tucker for running the event, Richard Langsford for organizing it and sorting out the prize support and my opponents for all being a joy to play against. I hope to get more games in, this event was a great ambassador.

No comments:

Post a Comment